Tuesday 31 May 2011

Scholarly Stresses

Oh it's been one of those days to forget. Quickly.

Part of my job entails being the editorial assistant of a journal for Neo-Latin Studies. Doesn't sound exciting, does it? But it gets worse. Here's what I did today - all day, by myself - in my honourable capacity of editorial assistant: I standardized footnotes. Yes. I spent my whole day reviewing papers and correcting this:

'Scholarly Stresses and Strains: the Difficult Dealings of Bonaventura Vulcanius and Henricus Stephanus over their Edition of Arrian's De Expeditione Alexandri Magni Historiarum Libri VIII', in Bonaventura Vulcanius, Works and Networks, Bruges 1538- Leiden 1614. Papers edited and introduced by Hélène Cazes, Brill's studies in Intellectual history, 194 (Leiden - Boston, 2010), 351-359.

into this:

Gilbert Tournoy, ‘Scholarly Stresses and Strains: the Difficult Dealings of Bonaventura Vulcanius and Henricus Stephanus over their Edition of Arrian’s De Expeditione Alexandri Magni Historiarum Libri VIII’, in Hélène Cazes (Ed.), Bonaventura Vulcanius, Works and Networks, Bruges 1538 – Leiden 1614, Brill’s Studies in Intellectual history, 194 (Leiden – Boston: Brill, 2010), pp. 351-359.

And, yes sir, this is very important. Seriously. Oh, it doesn't look that different? Note the alignment (justified instead of left), note the quotation marks (rounded instead of straight), note the length of the dash between Leiden and Boston, note the capital letter in Studies. Of course, I am a highly trained professional at this, having taken an exam during my first year at university on this sort of thing (bibliographical style sheet) and proudly boasting several years of experience at the journal in question. My Lord...

Apart from such intellectual haut cuisine my day also figured: doing laundry (goody!), buying stamps (exciting!), doing dishes (happy happy, joy joy!), stubbing my toe against the coffee table (auch!). That's abou it. Hell, I'm so numb that only now (not kidding), I realise how ironic the aforementioned title of my example is...

Scholarly stresses, you got that right!

No comments:

Post a Comment