Monday 27 February 2012

Pod-heads (6)

It seems like our jobs finally got a grip on this blog. I am not just speaking for myself when I say that Fred's output has been on the low side lately, and this is all because we were too busy working. I wish I could say we were too busy having a life, but that would be a bit of a stretch. We're fighting deadlines, working ourselves through piles of papers and spending (way too much) time in front of - luckily enough - eager students. 

In times like these, when planet Fred seems to be in orbit around the bright sun called our job, I tend to spend time with the usual suspects when looking for comfort: food, friends and erhm... music. Damned, where are the adjectives starting with d- when you need them? Aha! Here. Let's make it fantastic music then. And now that the days are getting longer, as opposed to my shorts (at least during the weekend, damned you ink on the calf), I tend to scroll to the albums listed under 'punk' in my iPod. 

And there, we can find one of the bands that has always been one of my favourites: Pennywise, a Californian punk rock band named after the clown in one of Stephen King's novels. I have a particular liking to this band, because I once shared the stage with them. Well, let me explain: the first time they played at Pukkelpop (2003, if I am not mistaken), they invited people on stage during what is probably their biggest anthem (Bro Hymn, also known as the "Oooh, o-o-o-ooh, oooh, oo-o-o-ooh"), and this Fred was one of them. Jumping up and down, pointing my finger in the air, singing along, enjoying the view: thousands of youngsters moshing around in a giant circle pit. 

Today, I decided to post another Pennywise favourite. As a finger of your choice for everything that prevents you from doing whatever you want to do, because time doesn't permit. Or just because it rocks. Shorts or no shorts...


No comments:

Post a Comment