Tuesday 3 January 2012

Year-End Questions (2)

Yesterday, Fred listed his answers to a bunch of questions which he drafted as an alternative to the regular format. I'll just answer these questions as well, since they are too nice to ignore...

1) Most absurd moment?

Standing at the check-in counter in Zaventem - together with Fred, ready to board our flight to Tokio - and hearing the unsettling words: "I am not sure whether you can actually board this flight, as it seems that your first and family names were entered wrongly upon reservation of these tickets. When the names on my list don't match the ones mentioned in the passport, this could technically speaking jeopardize your trip." We still thank the assistant for her efforts...

2) Best personal insight?

"It is never too late to start something new, no matter how old or insecure you feel." One obvious manifestation? Me (finally) buying a guitar. That, and "Antwerp is a fantastic place to live".

3) Best unforeseen event?

I can't choose between two events, so I'll just mention both of them.

The first one was spending a day in Kuala Lumpur with 3 lovely people (Michelle, Ainsley and Jakob: just in case you're reading this, thanks again!) whom I'd met earlier that day while brushing my teeth in the common bathroom of a fantastic Backpacker's in KL. Dental hygiene for the win!

The second one was being invited to a cheese fondue at a friend's place whom I hadn't seen in a very long time, which led to the funniest first date I ever had. Lactose tolerance for the win!

4) Biggest crying-but-in-a-good-way moment?

Seeing three of my favourite Belgian bands (Amenra, Kingdom and the Black Heart Rebellion) in an old church in Ghent. Playing heads up poker with Fred. Being smiled at by random people. Being smiled at by students. Going to a cantus with a colleague of mine. Getting a text message from friend at Pukkelpop saying they were okay.

5) What I would most like to do in 2012, if it were not so embarrassing because I’m not a teenager anymore?

Buy a skateboard and ride to work. And, obviously, go on a survival weekend with Fred.

6) Most heartbreaking moment?

Seeing my grandmother for the last time, lying in her hospital bed. Technically speaking, she was still alive, but I am not sure she ever heard the words I shared with her.

7) Most annoying physical feature?

Not being able to lick my own elbow.

8) Best food discovery?

Penang, a state in Malaysia and the name of the constituent island on the northwest coast of this fantastic country. My love for Asian food is not new, but the concentration of delicious restaurants - from vegan to not so vegetarian - on this particular island was. Had the best Indian curries in years here...

9) Best question?

(for this to make sense, you need to watch Ricky Gervais' comedy act on animals and gay sexuality - see also here, around 3:33)

You allright? Anything? Do you want to swap? Better?

10) Best thing I used my computer for?

Order tickets for all the concerts I've been to. And starting Fred and Fred, duh!

No comments:

Post a Comment