Wednesday 16 November 2011

Get it on!

I guess, nay hope, that you’re probably not too surprised to hear that Fred and Fred are pretty big fans of comedy. I mean, we do try to be funny (we hope you’ve at least noticed the intention), but of course we are very aware of the fact that we are nowhere near our examples. And who might they be? Well, I believe Fred is quite fond of standup comedians like Eddie Izzard, Steven Wright, Jimmy Carr and of all-round talent Ricky Gervais, whereas I’m more of a BBC comedy man, enjoying Green Wing, Little Britain, The Fast Show, Never Mind the Buzzcocks, Shooting Stars, and shows like that. Still, I’m no stranger to standup either and especially like Scottish comedians Frankie Boyle and Kevin Bridges. Now, if you want to know more about all this funny stuff, do leave this blog and Google or YouTube any of the aforementioned names. You’re in for a very, very good laugh. But if you want to get to know something else, I suggest you read on for a while…

Indeed, I have left out one comedian in the list – a man whose nasaly drone (his words) I listen to almost every day. And that man is Adam Carolla. He’s come up a few times on this blog already as the source of one witticism or another, but I’m pretty sure nobody knows who the guy is.

Adam Carolla, born in LA in 1964, used to be a carpet cleaner, a traffic school instructor, a carpenter, a boxing instructor, and a general contracter before getting into the comedy business. He then did radio shows, got several succesful shows on MTV, made a movie and finally got his own morning radio program The Adam Carolla Show. However, in 2009 the very popular radioshow was inexplicably cancelled, and Carolla was out of a job.

And that’s when a stroke of genious hit. Carolla started a daily podcast, also called The Adam Carolla Show, which is available for free on iTunes.


It includes a news cast, a guy with a brain tumor doing funny sound effects (for real!), and games like Blahblah-blog where the guy guess which celebrity wrote a certain pompous quote on his or her blog. The show also features interviews with guests like Christoph Walz (the German colonel from Inglourious Basterds), Morgan Spurlock (the guy from Supersize Me) or Michael Moore. In May 2011 the show became the Guinness World Records holder for the most downloaded podcast after being downloaded a whopping 59,574,843 times from March 2009 to 16 March, 2011!

So now, every morning after getting out of the shower, I put my iPod in the speakerbox and listen to this podcast. And I listen to it during my commute, while doing the dishes, when shopping; pretty much whenever I have the time, really. And I absolutely love it.

Why?

Well, Carolla’s prime talent is … complaining – something I’m quite fond of myself actually (if you hadn’t noticed yet). Indeed, one of the many bits that come along in the podcast is called What Can’t Adam Complain About?, a part where listeners can call in and challenge Carolla to complain about something that they think is impossible to complain about. I’ve heard him complain with dolphins, Ferraris, even oxygen, and it’s always super funny. But during the show too, Carollo will complain about just about anything. About flavoured iced tea, for example, saying “Iced tea has a flavour! It’s tea flavour. We need to call peach or passion fruit iced tea something else so I don’t end up with a cold drink tasting like potpourri and shit when I order iced-tea!”

But complaining isn’t Carolla’s only talent. He’s quick as a fox and his tongue is razor sharp, which allows for hilarious quotes. I’ve often had people on the train looking at me in a funny way because I was ‘laughing like a hyena’ (again, Carolla’s words) at one of his quotes. Here’s a couple for you to enjoy:

  • "Having sex without a condom is like riding a roller coaster with diarrhea. You can't just throw your hands up and enjoy it."
  • "I give women two types of orgasms. Fake and none."
  • "When black men get fat they become bouncers. When I put on 30lbs I start looking like Truman Capote."
  • "He doesn't sound like a guy who's done a onesome, let alone a threesome."
  • "Chicks named Tammy have a greater chance of actually driving a Mercedes than a chick named Mercedes."
  • "You think you're Napoleon? You're nuts. You talk to Jesus? You're nuts."
  • "You might be an eighth Cherokee, but you're still seven eighths asshole."
  • "My philosophy is: figure out what you want to do in life then take a nap."
(source: @carollaquotes twitter-account)
So, get it on with Carolla (his catchphrase, repeated at the start of every podcast) and check out the show at http://www.adamcarolla.com. It’s free and funny as hell!

Thank you and mahalo (his Hawaian-style sign-off).

No comments:

Post a Comment