Tuesday 18 October 2011

The glass is...

Recently I was struck by how very different we can feel. You know what they say, some days the glass is half-full, some days it's half-empty. And since I don't really know what kind of day you're having, I thought I might give you the option today:

...half-empty

Some days you'll wake up to an annoying song on your clock radio, throw your underwear on a massive pile of dirty laundry before getting into the shower, spill coffee powder all over the side of the machine and think: "Goddammit, how on earth am I going to get through this day?". Half an hour later, you'll be staring blankly into the morning air on the train platform, until all of a sudden one of your fellow commuters will pass you by so closely, as some of them do, that you can actually see inside their ear. And you'll think: "Goddammit, I hate other people". In the afternoon your boss will tell you to work on a random Saturday in December and you'll check your agenda and see it's the only one in November you had made plans for. And you'll think: "Goddammit, I hate my job". In the evening, you'll get home, try to make yourself feel better by getting some take-away or fries perhaps. But after wolfing them down, you'll only think: "Goddammit, I feel disgusted". And before you go to sleep, you'll be tossing and turning, and kicking yourself for that stupid comment you made over lunch to someone and you'll think, over and over again: "Goddammit, I'm a wanker". And all you can do is trust, with everything you’ve got in you, that tomorrow …



…half-full

Some days you’ll wake up humming along with your clock radio, get into your shower and laugh out loud when you find yourself making a mohawk in your shampooed hair. You’ll think of the smell of coffee that’ll hit your nostrils in a few minutes and you think: “God, I feel alive.”. Half an hour later, you’ll be waiting on the train platform, not even caring that there’s a twenty minute delay, because the sun is out and even though it’s autumn, it feels warm on your face. You’ll see an eighty-year old on a bench doing the same and you’ll think: “God, I love people.” In the afternoon your boss will tell you to work on a random Saturday in December, because frankly he really wants you there because this is an important issue. And you’ll think: “Goddammit, I’m good at my job.” In the evening, you’ll get a machine-full of dirty laundry going, go for a five-mile run and afterwards fix yourself a salad with tuna and chickpeas. And you’ll think: “God I feel healthy.” And before you go to sleep, you’ll be reading that book you’ve always wanted to read and you’ll get a text message from someone. It’ll say: “Hey, I was just thinking about you…” And you’ll suddenly understand, with everything you’ve got in you, that no matter what…


… everything is going to be alright.

2 comments: