Monday 17 October 2011

There's no word for it

Last month, Fred elected to write about the English language, claiming that it is so rich and well-endowed that there are beautiful words for everything. He even provided us with a few new words to spice up dinner parties, remember?

Today, I would like to point out that the English language is actually not that rich. Every once in a while, I find myself in a situation where I end up making ridiculously long sentences and awkward comparisons, sometimes even drawing pictures, in order to convey a message, an experience or an emotion which turns out to be quite familiar. Which leads me to the question: why is there no word for it?


For example, anyone who has ever bitten his nails has probably experienced the pain induced by that little stubborn piece of nail shown on the picture above. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this particular (disproportionally) uncomfortable feeling seems to be more common than being afraid to read out loud - isn't it? And yet, there is a word for the latter (alourophobia), and not for the little buggers attached to your finger? All we're asking for, is a noun...

I would also like to advocate the introduction of a word to describe that special feeling you experience when you wipe your butt, after a more than average number two, and you notice that the piece of toilet paper is still perfectly white. Somewhere between being proud of yourself and feeling slightly worried ("Did I forget how to do it?"), between feeling the urge to share this with the world (Fred has updated his status using his iPhone) and not trusting your own senses anymore (has anyone ever stopped wiping after exactly one white sheet of toilet paper?). I once read a word for the end product ('the mystery poo'), but as far as I know there is no word for the emotional state in which you return from the toilet. And all we're asking for, is an adjective...

- Are you okay Fred? You look like you're having a [insert noun].
- Oh no, don't worry, I just feel a bit [insert adjective].

2 comments:

  1. Would you perhaps be looking for the term "hangnail"? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hangnail

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, Pedro, you are right. Smashing at least one Fred in the face, I would love to see their reaction :)

    ReplyDelete